Sunday, June 30, 2013

Catch My Breath

Author: M.J. O’Shea
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-62380-871-6
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary
Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Blue Horizon Records is holding open auditions with the hopes of finding their next new star.  Unfortunately, they are unable to find just one great star and instead settle for four new voices, hoping that by grouping them together they will have the next big boy band instead.  But something is still missing, that is until the record company brings in Elliot.

I loved Ms. O’Shea’s newest release, Catch My Breath.  This is a great story that shows the readers the many sides of the music world.  Danny and Elliot, along with three other young men, are brought together by Blue Horizon Records to be the next big boy band.  Although the five men hit it off from the start and soon become the best of friends, it is Danny and Elliot that become the closest.  When the five men are placed in a reality show with a bunch of other young musicians, that closeness becomes even tighter.  With the way Danny and Elliot were with each other, I was surprised that it took the two so long to realize what they were really feeling.  I also could not believe that the other musicians in the house did not realize what was going on.  Because the young men are only eighteen, the author does not go into graphic detail once their relationship moves from friendship into something more, yet that does not keep the intensity they are feeling from coming through. 

There are a lot of secondary characters, not all of whom are likeable.  I could not believe the music industry people in this story.  The way they torment Danny and Elliot made me crazy.  While I thought some of the situations the young men found themselves in could be put down to their age, the way they were manipulated was just over the top.  I did love the rest of Danny’s and Elliot’s band members though.  The way the three older men stuck by the young lovers was great and I wondered if we would be seeing any of them in future stories. 

Catch My Breath is a well written story that grabbed my attention from the beginning.  I could not wait to see how the author planned on working things out for the men, and found myself wanting to skip ahead just to see how the story ended, but I did not want to miss anything by doing so.  I am sure fans of this author will love her new story, and those who have not yet given this author a try, should start with this book.

No comments: