Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Northern Lights


Title: Northern Lights
Author: Michelle Cary
Publisher: Amber Quill
Publisher URL: http://amberquill.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60272-553-9
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary, Romantic Suspense
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph

From an early age, Brooke Hague has learned the hard way that letting people get close will only end up in heartache. A terrifying experience as a teenager caused her to flee her home, her family and her childhood. She fought hard to get her life back on track after testifying against the man who almost destroyed her but now he’s out of prison and looking for revenge. All she wanted was to put the past to rest and move on. Brooke didn’t even tell her new friends, preferring to suffer the burden alone as she did not want to be pitied. Now the police want her under their protection and her friends are asking questions that Brooke can no longer avoid.

Nathan Lowery is no stranger to tragedy and can tell Brooke is a bundle of emotions inside, despite the calm exterior. He was attracted to Brooke from the moment his sister-in-law first introduced them but has felt stuck in the “friend zone” ever since. Suffice to say, his sister-in-law’s request that he take Brooke on as ship’s cook was quite a shock. Even more of a shock was Brooke’s acceptance of the offer. The Alaskan crab fishing season is hardly the place for the inexperienced, delicate Brooke but she seems to be able to trust Nathan. When the pressure of keeping her secrets becomes too much, stuck on a boat in the middle of the Bering Sea, away from the confines of the police and the potential danger from her attacker, might be just what she needs.

By far, the strongest aspect of Northern Lights is the setting. I was able to fully immerse myself in Brooke and Nathan’s lives and before I knew it, I was lost in the dangers endured and the passion Nathan and his crew have for their work. The atmospheric description of life onboard almost made me feel seasick at times and although I have never experienced crab fishing on the Bering Sea, the writing came across as very authentic with a lot of research put into getting things right.

The characters were believable; I cared for them and felt their pain as they had to deal with the trauma in their lives. The way in which both Brooke and Nathan’s past struggles are revealed slowly throughout the story was very well done and kept me intrigued throughout. The inner strength Brooke finds to face the nasty, vile man from her past was amazing and I was hoping for her happiness and closure throughout. Nathan, too, was a strong character although I feel there is more to his story that needs to be explored. This was certainly a book about Brooke moving on in her life and I’d like to see Nathan get the same kind of closure; something that hopefully will come easier with Brooke in his life.

The actual style of writing took a little getting used to, a shaky start with some strange use of language interfered slightly with the initial enjoyment but I soon got used to it and was able to fully loose myself in Brooke and Nathan’s story aboard the Northern Lights.

No comments: