Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Defense Rests


Title: The Defense Rests
Author: Vivien Dean
Publisher: Amber Allure
Publisher URL: http://www.amberquill.com/AmberAllure/
ISBN: 978-1-60272-607-9
Genre: [M/M] Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

The relationship between Sam and Derek has changed dramatically since the men met. In a short time, they’ve gone from opponents in the courtroom to co-workers and lovers. Despite their open office status of boyfriends, they’re still a bit adversarial when it comes to work and the cases assigned to them. It only gets worse when one of the firm’s partners puts them together for the first time. Sam is uneasy, but willing to take the case, while Derek doesn’t want to have anything to do with it. When they learn the client is HIV positive and related to their boss, Derek grudgingly agrees. The two men must find a way to resolve their differences before the anger and uncertainty destroys them.

The Defense Rests is the third installment of four in Vivien Dean’s ongoing The Wranglers series. First up, let me say that I’ve enjoyed all the books in this serial type series and I’m anxious to see how the case and relationship of Sam and Derek is resolved with Judgment in late January.

Once again Ms. Dean has written another fast-paced and realistic look into the lives of these two intelligent, hardworking and independent men. She’s done a good job expressing the unhappiness and uncertainty of both Sam and Derek in learning the details of their upcoming court case. That goes double for Sam’s much easier acceptance of why the client needs them and Derek’s unhappiness and anger at the possibility of being forever labeled as ‘that gay lawyer.”

I admit to liking both men, but I feel I have a much better handle on what makes Sam tick than Derek. The men are still having vocal and loud disagreements, but that only means the makeup sex is that much hotter and intense. I’m anxious to see how this case makes a difference in their personal and professional lives. Read and enjoy.

No comments: