Thursday, May 20, 2010

No Quarter


Title: No Quarter
Author: Christine d’ Abo
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Publisher URL: http://www.jasminejade.com/
ISBN: 9781419924606
Genre: {M/M}, Science Fiction
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Gar’s life has not been easy. After losing his father and sister to a Loyalist attack, Gar was raised to be a bounty hunter. At the young age of 24, his reputation is well known and feared. His latest assignment was supposed to be a simple pickup.

Faolan is a pirate extraordinaire. When his latest job puts a valuable necklace in his possession Faolan sees it as a means to an end. Hoping to get what he wants for the necklace, Faolan contacts Jason, who sends the luscious Gar to pick him up.

No Quarter is the latest science fiction story by author Christine d’ Abo. I must admit when I first started this story I wondered if I had made a mistake in getting it. For me, the first couple of pages just moved too slowly and the characters seemed boring, yet I stuck it out and I am glad I did. The story quickly picks up speed and both Gar and Faolan had me hooked. Both men have tragic pasts but handle the results differently. Gar has pulled away from all real contact with society while Faolan hides behind his charming personality. The way the men behave and the reasons for it come across realistically. The chemistry between the men, once they really let go, is also believable and will leave the reader wanting more. The only thing I wish would have been different is the ending. Although it ends well, I wish the author would have included an epilogue updating the men’s life together.

If you are a fan of sci-fi, especially those that run along the lines of Serenity/Firefly, then give No Quarter a chance. It turned out to be one very good story.

2 comments:

Christine d'Abo said...

Thank you for the review, Critter Nymph! You'll be happy to know the story is continuing. You'll hear more about the boys with Mace's story. :)

lyne said...

i wondered if she would be getting her own story. looking forward to it.