Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Broken Angels


Title: Broken Angels
Author: Anne Hope
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60928-158-8
Genre: {M/F} Contemporary, Suspense
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Goddess Minx

Zach Ryler is a take-charge type of person and believes he can fix anything that’s broken. Little does he know that life has a way of proving him wrong more than once and Rebecca is at the top of the list. Zach tries to do what he feels is right with her bitterness not being able to bear children. He is not prepared for the tragedy of losing his sister and brother-in-law to a brutal death and the legal responsibility of three small children. The one person he thought never to be close to again, Rebecca, is there to help him care for their wards.

While trying to put her life back together, Rebecca James finds herself becoming guardian for her friend's children, when she couldn’t have her own. She spent a few years destroying her marriage to Zach by not accepting that she would not give him the child she wanted but now realizes that her love for him has not faded. Now all she has to do is conquer the fear she has of being around children and find a way to exist without losing herself again.

Broken Angels is a bit of a deceptive title but turned out to be a loaded story of what could go wrong with unsuspecting villains and I really enjoyed reading it. There are a few broken angels among the main characters and Rebecca is the biggest concern.

I had a problem with Zach at first, with his inability to accept the fact that he couldn’t fix everything or everyone. He turns out to be a very loving, caring person who just needs to be shown how to care. His devotion to Rebecca is very touching, and I found myself grinning at the changes that overcame him throughout the book.

This is the first time I have read one of Ms. Hope’s stories and I can say that she did a really nice job. The way she wrote the plot is very well done, she kept me reading to figure out the villain and boy, was I surprised. I thought, for sure, it was someone else and that’s saying a lot for me, when I usually know before the end.

If you are looking for a fairytale story, this is not it, but you will enjoy reading about how the characters learn to rediscover life in a positive way and the fierce emotion of protective guardians, read and enjoy.

2 comments:

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

This is a great review, Anne, and you should be proud of it.

Sherry Gloag said...

This is a great review and has me wondering *who is 'the boy'*
Oh my, my wish list is growing :-)