Monday, April 21, 2014

Coming Clean

Title: Coming Clean
Author: Carol Lynne
Publisher: Totally Bound Publishing
Publisher URL: www.totallybound.com
ISBN/BIN: 978-0-85715-675-4
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx

Chase Hughes didn’t realize how much he’d change after going away to college and now he needs to tell Benny, his high school sweetheart, that he’s ready to move on. The problem—Chase doesn’t want to hurt him. When he’s working at Clean Slate, Chase meets Mac Evans, an older guy who pushes all his buttons. He’s more than ready to start a relationship, but Mac will only let it go so far before Chases confesses the truth to Benny.  Years ago, Mac came clean to the people in his life and it cost him dearly but he won’t live a lie or be a dirty little secret.

Coming Clean is the newest release in Carol Lynne’s Campus Cravings series. I admit that when I read the blurb I was distressed. It was the idea of Chase cheating on his boyfriend I didn’t like, but as a Campus Cravings fan (I’ve read them all) I knew I had to give Ms. Lynne a chance to get Chase out of his predicament. In truth, the situation he faces is experienced every day by many trying to maintain a long distance relationship. It’s hard but life changes and so do wants and desires.

That’s what Chase has to deal with and his feelings come across as real. I just wish he hadn’t also come across as whiny and afraid to tell the truth. His interest in the older Mac is clear. I like Mac and his insistence on dealing with the past before moving forward with Chase. His history is nicely developed and I like his integrity. It doesn’t hurt that he’s sexy either. The romance that develops between him and Chase is sweet and lighthearted. 

Having the story take Chase and Mac to Cattle Valley is a nice blending of the two series. It gives the opportunity for a confrontation between Chase and Benny—which is an introduction for Benny since I’m expecting him to be featured when he heads off to college. I’m also looking forward to a book about Peter, Chase’s roommate. Both guys are nice additions to the story line and should make excellent man characters in the future.

No comments: