Monday, March 16, 2009

Hell Takes a Holiday


Title: Hell Takes a Holiday
Author: Kiernan Kelly
Publisher: Torquere Press
Publisher URL: http://www.torquerebooks.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60370-569-1
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Nymph Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph

Lucifer may be the devil himself, but he is no longer bothered about punishing the guilty. No, he’s feeling lonely and missing how things use to be. So when Uriel, his former love, comes to visit him, he’s left out of sorts. Uriel has missed Lucifer and when their passion erupts, Lucifer doesn’t know if he has the heart to leave the former angel once again.

The author has written a few stories based on angel and demons. Most of the stories have been interesting and nothing too serious, which is what I have enjoyed about them. However Hell Takes a Holiday was a story that left me very uncomfortable at times. I love reading stories about religion especially in fiction, because I love to see how authors portray such a sensitive subject. Most of the time I am left pleased, however this time I wasn’t. I understand very well that people have varying opinions on religion, but when a story says that free will shouldn’t have been given to man, and religion is the root problem for everything – well it simply offends me. Whether or not that was the author’s goal, as a reader I am allowed to interpret the written word as I see it. Though the second-half saved it for me, and went back to what I enjoyed and that was some angel/demon loving and just a nice sweet romance.

No comments: