
Title: Caught Off Base
Author: J.M. Snyder
Publisher: eXcessica
Publisher: http://.excessica.com/
ISBN: N/A
Genre: Contemporary, M/M, Interracial
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph
Angelo is minding his own business when he comes across a young man standing at the side of the road. Not believing it’s his place to intervene, Angelo drives on past; however, the young man haunts Angelo’s thoughts and when he finishes work, he finds the man still standing there. Taking pity, he takes in the young man named TC, who ends up opening a lot more wounds he’d rather have kept closed.
Caught Off Base takes the character Angelo from the author's previous novel Stepping Up to the Plate. Here, Angelo gets his own story and his happily-for-now ending. The great thing about this story is it’s an interracial romance. The author doesn’t harp on about skin colour or race, but mentions it enough to make a slight distinction from the usual white-on-white male romance that dominates this genre. The premise was great and I loved the beginning of the book, although it read like a first chapter of a book as opposed to the short story it was. I felt the author had plucked the first chapter from a novel, and tried to make it into a short story. Unfortunately it did not work and when the story ended, it was anticlimactic, spoiling my overall enjoyment.
The character of Angelo has a lot of baggage that cannot be dealt with in this chosen format. Most of the time he mused about what could have been with his former love interest Stacy from the first novel. Whilst I found the budding romance between TC and Angelo sweet, I couldn’t help but feel Angelo was on the rebound. Whether that was the author’s intention, I do not know. It felt like that to me, because Angelo kept comparing Stacy to TC so much. At times, it felt awkward and I ended up pitying TC, who didn’t seem to be able to live up to the image Angelo portrayed of Stacy.
The overall construction of the story in my opinion was dealt with poorly. However, TC and Angelo were sweet enough characters and the premise held enough promise that I could easily read this story without getting too frustrated.
Author: J.M. Snyder
Publisher: eXcessica
Publisher: http://.excessica.com/
ISBN: N/A
Genre: Contemporary, M/M, Interracial
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph
Angelo is minding his own business when he comes across a young man standing at the side of the road. Not believing it’s his place to intervene, Angelo drives on past; however, the young man haunts Angelo’s thoughts and when he finishes work, he finds the man still standing there. Taking pity, he takes in the young man named TC, who ends up opening a lot more wounds he’d rather have kept closed.
Caught Off Base takes the character Angelo from the author's previous novel Stepping Up to the Plate. Here, Angelo gets his own story and his happily-for-now ending. The great thing about this story is it’s an interracial romance. The author doesn’t harp on about skin colour or race, but mentions it enough to make a slight distinction from the usual white-on-white male romance that dominates this genre. The premise was great and I loved the beginning of the book, although it read like a first chapter of a book as opposed to the short story it was. I felt the author had plucked the first chapter from a novel, and tried to make it into a short story. Unfortunately it did not work and when the story ended, it was anticlimactic, spoiling my overall enjoyment.
The character of Angelo has a lot of baggage that cannot be dealt with in this chosen format. Most of the time he mused about what could have been with his former love interest Stacy from the first novel. Whilst I found the budding romance between TC and Angelo sweet, I couldn’t help but feel Angelo was on the rebound. Whether that was the author’s intention, I do not know. It felt like that to me, because Angelo kept comparing Stacy to TC so much. At times, it felt awkward and I ended up pitying TC, who didn’t seem to be able to live up to the image Angelo portrayed of Stacy.
The overall construction of the story in my opinion was dealt with poorly. However, TC and Angelo were sweet enough characters and the premise held enough promise that I could easily read this story without getting too frustrated.
No comments:
Post a Comment