
Title: Conflict in Blood
Author: Ariel Tachna
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-935192-30-5
Genre: M/M Paranormal Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
The struggle between the Vampire/Wizard alliance and the dark Wizards grows stronger every day, making Serrier, and his followers, increasingly desperate to gain the upper hand in their ongoing magical conflict. They are actively seeking information to explain the power behind the unexpected alliance, and the dark Wizards don’t care whom they have to kill or torture to get it.
Jean Bellaiche, leader of the Paris Vampires, and his partner, Raymond Payet, are striving to lead by example by developing not only a viable professional relationship but a satisfying personal one, as well. Despite their efforts and the efforts of their friends, Alain Magnier and Orlando St. Clair, Thierry Dumont and Sebastien Noyer, strife, resentment, anger and misunderstandings threaten to unravel numerous uncomfortable partnerships.
As the war rages all over the city and the number of causalities mount, the alliance members fight to put aside their differences, while hunting amongst ancient texts for an answer that would swing the tide of war in their favor.
Conflict in Blood is the third release in Ms. Tachna’s four book series, Partnership in Blood. This series really needs to be read in it’s entirety in order to get the understanding needed to follow such a complicated plot with multiple important characters who move from book to book.
There are so many personalities, and so much going on in this plotline, it’s hard to believe that, in story time, only 3-4 weeks have elapsed since the first release. The partnerships between the Wizard/Vampire pairs are in different stages…barely able to tolerate each other, able to work well together and finally, those pairs who are true partners and lovers. I have to admit that while Alain and Orlando might have been the first couple, they are by no means my favorite in this intriguing and well-written paranormal series. Two other couples, Jean and Raymond, closely followed by Sebastien and Thierry, have replaced them.
Ms. Tachna continues to do an excellent job of dealing with Orlando’s abusive past, but her attention to the relationships of the other couples in the story has really caught my attention. Instead of making the partnerships either black or white, there are varying shades of gray, which changes still again, as the pairs become more familiar with each other. These differences are where the author’s ability truly shines, making the wizard/vampire personalities and their relationships widely varied.
There are two aspects of this paranormal tale that I particularly enjoyed. While the backbone of the story is the war between good and evil, the actual battles between the two sides never take-over or overpower the story of the developing relationships, whether M/M, M/F or F/F. Yes, there is pain, and death on both sides as the bad Wizards battle to take over, but that doesn’t stop life from going on. The other thing I was pleased to see involved Jean and Raymond, our wizardly brain…our wizardly scholar, who finally did what I’ve never seen before in a story with an ancient vampire and ‘young’ human. Why, I don’t know. Raymond asked about the history Jean had seen in his life/death time. Truthfully, I’d like to see more of this intriguing couple in the future. Maybe in another book taking place after the war is at an end.
Lastly, even though I’ve enjoyed the series so far, I still have questions that I’ve never seen addressed and I’d like answered. Why is the main battle happening in Paris? What makes this city so important? Why aren’t all of the Wizard/Vampire pairs housed in Paris, if that’s where the battle is taking place? Why haven’t we read of problems in other parts of France, and what about other parts of the world? Are the other areas problems free, and if so, why? All those and others questions need resolution before I can really call the series at an end.
Author: Ariel Tachna
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-935192-30-5
Genre: M/M Paranormal Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
The struggle between the Vampire/Wizard alliance and the dark Wizards grows stronger every day, making Serrier, and his followers, increasingly desperate to gain the upper hand in their ongoing magical conflict. They are actively seeking information to explain the power behind the unexpected alliance, and the dark Wizards don’t care whom they have to kill or torture to get it.
Jean Bellaiche, leader of the Paris Vampires, and his partner, Raymond Payet, are striving to lead by example by developing not only a viable professional relationship but a satisfying personal one, as well. Despite their efforts and the efforts of their friends, Alain Magnier and Orlando St. Clair, Thierry Dumont and Sebastien Noyer, strife, resentment, anger and misunderstandings threaten to unravel numerous uncomfortable partnerships.
As the war rages all over the city and the number of causalities mount, the alliance members fight to put aside their differences, while hunting amongst ancient texts for an answer that would swing the tide of war in their favor.
Conflict in Blood is the third release in Ms. Tachna’s four book series, Partnership in Blood. This series really needs to be read in it’s entirety in order to get the understanding needed to follow such a complicated plot with multiple important characters who move from book to book.
There are so many personalities, and so much going on in this plotline, it’s hard to believe that, in story time, only 3-4 weeks have elapsed since the first release. The partnerships between the Wizard/Vampire pairs are in different stages…barely able to tolerate each other, able to work well together and finally, those pairs who are true partners and lovers. I have to admit that while Alain and Orlando might have been the first couple, they are by no means my favorite in this intriguing and well-written paranormal series. Two other couples, Jean and Raymond, closely followed by Sebastien and Thierry, have replaced them.
Ms. Tachna continues to do an excellent job of dealing with Orlando’s abusive past, but her attention to the relationships of the other couples in the story has really caught my attention. Instead of making the partnerships either black or white, there are varying shades of gray, which changes still again, as the pairs become more familiar with each other. These differences are where the author’s ability truly shines, making the wizard/vampire personalities and their relationships widely varied.
There are two aspects of this paranormal tale that I particularly enjoyed. While the backbone of the story is the war between good and evil, the actual battles between the two sides never take-over or overpower the story of the developing relationships, whether M/M, M/F or F/F. Yes, there is pain, and death on both sides as the bad Wizards battle to take over, but that doesn’t stop life from going on. The other thing I was pleased to see involved Jean and Raymond, our wizardly brain…our wizardly scholar, who finally did what I’ve never seen before in a story with an ancient vampire and ‘young’ human. Why, I don’t know. Raymond asked about the history Jean had seen in his life/death time. Truthfully, I’d like to see more of this intriguing couple in the future. Maybe in another book taking place after the war is at an end.
Lastly, even though I’ve enjoyed the series so far, I still have questions that I’ve never seen addressed and I’d like answered. Why is the main battle happening in Paris? What makes this city so important? Why aren’t all of the Wizard/Vampire pairs housed in Paris, if that’s where the battle is taking place? Why haven’t we read of problems in other parts of France, and what about other parts of the world? Are the other areas problems free, and if so, why? All those and others questions need resolution before I can really call the series at an end.
3 comments:
Thank you for the lovely review! I hope I'll manage to answer all your questions in the final volume.
Can't wait to see what happens in the final release of the series. I also hope to see more of these characters in some capacity in the future.
The last volume will be out on Halloween. And I have several ideas for possible post-war stories in my head, so it'll just be a question of molding them into something publishable. :)
Post a Comment