Tuesday, December 8, 2009

When Work Is a Pleasure


Title: When Work Is a Pleasure
Author: Alix Bekins
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-61581-290-5
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Scandalous Minx

Reporter Garrett Kowalski works for a gay magazine, a job that turns from sweet to spectacular when the subject matter of their next issue is explained. Garrett loves porn as much as any able-bodied man with a healthy libido and a large hard drive to hold its content. Landing an opportunity to attend Folsom Street Fair to interview porn stars is more than Garrett could have ever expected. The one man he lusts after, Justin, will test Garrett’s limits and have him hoping for more than just a simple friendship.

Garrett and Justin begin a budding relationship in a most unlikely place in Alix Bekins’ When Work Is a Pleasure. The plot for this story isn’t complex, but it’s definitely well delivered. The story is told from Garrett’s viewpoint but it’s not difficult to figure out what Justin wants. Justin’s job could make this situation more difficult than it really needs to be. Garrett may be an introvert but even with his recent breakup, he still doesn’t wallow in self-pity. He has just enough belief in himself and Justin not to make the relationship sticky by adding too much jealousy to the mix. I loved watching them interact; from the first time they meet to the closing lines of the story. I understood Justin’s appeal to Garrett. He’s real and didn’t want to date Justin because of what he did, but because of the man who hid behind the persona. Their light banter makes their relationship and attraction more believable and made them a couple I won’t soon forget.

I’m hoping Alix will write a sequel because I really wanted to be there for Thanksgiving dinner. I’ll never look at rulers the same again, and am sure those who love the genre will be happy they read When Work Is a Pleasure.

1 comment:

Alix Bekins said...

I am shamefully late in discovering this review, but I want to say thank you for it, however delayed! I’m glad you enjoyed the story. :)