Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Born of Stone

Author: Missy Jane
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-61922-023-2
Genre: {M/F} Urban Fantasy Series Recommended Read
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Release Date: 05-27-2014

Orestes and his twelve gargoyle brothers were magically created by the King’s wizards to protect the realm and its people and for seventy years, he has served them well. He has little contact with the human inhabitants of the kingdom, but that changes the night a petite serving woman catches Orestes’s eye. It’s obvious Astrid’s frightened but Orestes doesn’t know why. When he learns the castle overseer has beaten her, he and his brothers are furious. He takes Astrid to his room to care for her injuries and then makes love to her.

Despite her attachment, Astrid believes her new liaison with Orestes is temporary.  When he’s called away for a few days, evil enters the castle and she’s kidnapped by a traitor. Their bond is much stronger than either realizes. Can Orestes find Astrid before it’s too late?

Born of Stone is the first release in the new series by Missy Jane, Gargoyle Masters.

Wow. I’m always cautious with an unfamiliar author but when I discovered gargoyles were the paranormal shifters featured here, I knew I had to read it. Frankly, I didn’t know what to expect from Ms. Jane’s writing when I started, but I’m happy to report she exceeded my expectations. The premise is intriguing, the pace steady, and the plot complicated which kept my interest until the end. It’s also filled with interesting secondary characters and the world building is, in my opinion, top-notch. The descriptions are vivid, pulling you into the story immediately, and the details of the life and culture of the time period really brought Born of Stone alive. Even the villain of the story is interesting. And yes, the problem with him is resolved a little abruptly but you can tell by the ending that this guy isn’t finished causing trouble, and I can’t wait to see what he does in the next release. So yes, look for an ongoing story line in this series. 

Now to Orestes. What we’ve learned about him, his brothers, and their creation is an interestingly different slant on how gargoyles are usually handled in paranormal romances. It’s a definite creative flair I really enjoyed and all the little surprises really added to the overall reading enjoyment. Orestes’s also just an intriguing guy in his own right—and I like him. Add in downtrodden Astrid, and their new and growing relationship and you have a story I couldn’t stop reading. I for one can’t wait for the next release in this well written and entertaining series. Watch for it. I will be.

No comments: