Title: Calming
a Demon Heart
Author: Charlie
Richards
Publisher: eXtasy
Books
Publisher URL: http://www.extasybooks.com/
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-77111-882-8
Genre: {M/M}
Paranormal Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Gargoyles aren’t real.
That’s what Matthew Beakman always believed until he learns his brother Marty’s
life has been saved by one and he’s romantically involved with another. He’s thrilled Marty’s alive and wants to
thank the gargoyle responsible but learns that the huge red
gargoyle—Vane—doesn’t like humans. Undaunted
by the warning, Matthew follows Vane, determined to accomplish his self-appointed
task. He’s attracted to the heavily-muscled male and is excited with the idea
of meeting him. And when Vane presses him against the wall and growls, it makes
his body tingle.
Calming a Demon Heart is the newest release in Charlie Richards’ A Paranormal’s Love series. Due to the
recurring characters and ongoing storyline, the books should be read in order.
Gargoyles aren’t
written about often, which is why I enjoy this series. They give a slightly different
slant to what could be considered usual in the shifter genre and the variety is
a nice change. There’s also the shock factor—gargoyles—something out myth, even
more so than werewolves and vampires. It certainly makes the mating
interesting. At least in this release Matthew’s a little ahead because he
already knows they exist, which increases the pace of the storyline
immediately.
I don’t know what to
make of the Vane we meet in Calming a
Demon Heart. Previously he’s all bad-ass, someone you don’t want to mess
with. Here he’s so different—an uncertain, wounded individual, haunted by his
past. It didn’t mesh with the Vane I already had in my head. It’s not that the
descriptions here of what happened in his past aren’t well done, it’s putting
the *two* Vane’s together I have trouble with. Matthew I thoroughly enjoyed.
He’s experienced in life—in ways that Vane isn’t, so he can help his new mate
move out into the world, making him comfortable.

No comments:
Post a Comment