
Title: Chasing Victory
Author: Tory Temple
Publisher: Torquere Press
Publisher URL: http://www.torquerepress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60370-811-1
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
Mitchell Baker is a seasoned professional stock car racer and he’s at the top of heap in his highly competitive field. There’s a lot to enjoy about his life. Mitchell drives the best cars, works with his best friend, travels all over the country and the public adores him. However, all isn’t right with his world. He’s tired of sponsors demanding wins, his nearest competitor drives him crazy, his driving has changed from his passion into a job and he’s tired of being alone. Mitchell knows his life needs to change and if his luck doesn’t change, he might just find himself out of the winner’s circle and job for good.
Every race is required to have qualified medical personnel available and Pacey Evans fills that need as a traveling track paramedic. He meets Mitch after a race injury and the attraction between the men sparks, hot and intense. It’s not long before Mitch discovers that his new lover is exactly what he needs, not only for his personal happiness, but for his racing status as well. Life throws him another curve when his lucky charm, Pacey, wants more than just a quick sexual encounter before a race. What happens when Mitchell needs to chose between his livelihood and his personal life? Can he keep the happiness he’s always wanted, or is his life destined to run in never ending circles, while he looks for a way off?
Chasing Victory is the first book with a racing premise that I’ve read, so as a non-sports person, I wasn’t certain what to expect. What I got was a pleasant story with just enough information on how the racing world works to make it interesting, without overwhelming a non-racing enthusiast with meaningless details. It even made me think about watching a few races on TV and that’s never happened before.
The story has a unique plotline and the author handles the tension and atmosphere, in and off the track, very nicely. The attraction between Mitch and Pacey sparks fast, and the no-commitment sex is hot, starting the men on a season-long affair. While the sexual encounters are frequent, they never feel forced or out of place. I felt I had a good understanding of Mitch and loved watching his emotional growth throughout the story, but the other characters, including Pacey, were enigmas to me. With Pacey being such an important part of the story, I would have liked to know more about what made him tick. I enjoyed the inclusion of Mitch’s ill father and his caregiver, but again the relationship left me hanging and if developed further could have added more depth to the overall story and Mitch’s relationship with Pacey.
The above being said…I did enjoy the story, but it fell short of its true potential to be much more.
Author: Tory Temple
Publisher: Torquere Press
Publisher URL: http://www.torquerepress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60370-811-1
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
Mitchell Baker is a seasoned professional stock car racer and he’s at the top of heap in his highly competitive field. There’s a lot to enjoy about his life. Mitchell drives the best cars, works with his best friend, travels all over the country and the public adores him. However, all isn’t right with his world. He’s tired of sponsors demanding wins, his nearest competitor drives him crazy, his driving has changed from his passion into a job and he’s tired of being alone. Mitchell knows his life needs to change and if his luck doesn’t change, he might just find himself out of the winner’s circle and job for good.
Every race is required to have qualified medical personnel available and Pacey Evans fills that need as a traveling track paramedic. He meets Mitch after a race injury and the attraction between the men sparks, hot and intense. It’s not long before Mitch discovers that his new lover is exactly what he needs, not only for his personal happiness, but for his racing status as well. Life throws him another curve when his lucky charm, Pacey, wants more than just a quick sexual encounter before a race. What happens when Mitchell needs to chose between his livelihood and his personal life? Can he keep the happiness he’s always wanted, or is his life destined to run in never ending circles, while he looks for a way off?
Chasing Victory is the first book with a racing premise that I’ve read, so as a non-sports person, I wasn’t certain what to expect. What I got was a pleasant story with just enough information on how the racing world works to make it interesting, without overwhelming a non-racing enthusiast with meaningless details. It even made me think about watching a few races on TV and that’s never happened before.
The story has a unique plotline and the author handles the tension and atmosphere, in and off the track, very nicely. The attraction between Mitch and Pacey sparks fast, and the no-commitment sex is hot, starting the men on a season-long affair. While the sexual encounters are frequent, they never feel forced or out of place. I felt I had a good understanding of Mitch and loved watching his emotional growth throughout the story, but the other characters, including Pacey, were enigmas to me. With Pacey being such an important part of the story, I would have liked to know more about what made him tick. I enjoyed the inclusion of Mitch’s ill father and his caregiver, but again the relationship left me hanging and if developed further could have added more depth to the overall story and Mitch’s relationship with Pacey.
The above being said…I did enjoy the story, but it fell short of its true potential to be much more.
No comments:
Post a Comment