Friday, October 9, 2009

On A Bruised Road


Title: On A Bruised Road
Author: Pepper Espinoza
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL: http://www.loose-id.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60737-430-5
Genre: {M/M} GLBT Paranormal
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

Edwin Masters is a pharmacist. He’s wanted a 1962 Alfa Romeo Spider 2600 since he first heard its powerful engine purr when he was five years old. It’s been a lifelong obsession and now, at age forty-seven, he decides buying his dream car is the perfect reward for reaching a twenty-year landmark in his life. He’s thrilled when, after a long search, he discovers a near mint-condition Spider for sale at a local estate sale. All it takes is one short drive and Edwin’s hooked, and willing to pay almost anything to the heirs of the original owner to buy it, and he does.

Finding the car is the dream of a lifetime, but buying it changes Edwin’s existence in ways he never imaged. It brings him into direct conflict with the ghost of eighteen year-old Cooper James, the young man who died in the car, during an accident forty-seven years before. Cooper’s been hanging around the car since the wreck and since his dad rarely drove it, he’s been stuck in the garage...alone. When Edwin buys the car, Cooper senses for the first time a kindred soul and the chance to get out into the world and have a ‘life’ that death denied him. That means Cooper’s trying to control Edwin and his life, and the young specter isn’t above terrorizing Edwin’s sexy new lover, Carson, to get what he wants. Edwin.

I’m going to say upfront that I’ve never understood an obsession for a car, it’s just not my thing, so I find it surprising On a Bruised Road appealed to me but it did. The opening scenes in which Edwin first encounters the Spider and he realizes something isn’t right, is a nicely written introduction to the paranormal aspect of this intriguing tale. The ghostly portion of the story is the background in this complex and unusual tale, but it still leaves room for the development of Carson and Edwin’s love.

Cooper, as the ghost, is an interesting character; an angry eighteen year-old male stuck with the car he died in and unable to move on. Ms. Espinoza did a wonderful job of bringing his personality to life, showing his great sense of loneliness, fear and the desire to have someone love him. Initially I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the guy, but his actions toward Edwin and Carson are so self-serving, controlling, and hurtful that my goodwill toward him didn’t last long.

Overall, all three characters are well developed, with varied personalities and interests, and the plot flow is smooth, and filled with regret, longing, love and fear. I liked Carson, but I feel like I know him the least, although what I did see was almost too perfect and forgiving to be realistic. Don’t get me wrong, the author did a nice job with the creation of his character. I just wish he’d had a few flaws. Edwin had his own regrets and mistakes in his life and buying the Spider turns out to be the biggest one of his life. Yet, if the car hadn’t entered his life, Carson might not have become a part of it either.

Ghosts and love stories don’t often mix, but don’t let the concept scare you away from this unusual contemporary paranormal romance. Give On A Bruised Road a try. You won’t regret it.

No comments: