
Title: The Bad and the Beautiful
Author: Jamie Craig
Publisher: Amber Allure
Publisher: www.amberquill.com/AmberAllure
ISBN: 978-1-60272-643-7
Genre: [M/M] Historical
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
All David Lonergan wants is to play music. When his cousin, Kate Ennis, is offered a job singing at the Thunderbird Club in Las Vegas, he’s thrilled at the chance to accompany her and be part of the headlining act. Used to playing piano in jazz clubs all over Chicago, nothing much about the new town dazzles him until he sets eyes on Vincent “Shorty” Accardo. The burly bodyguard draws him like a moth to a flame. The question is whether getting close to the older man will get him burned, or even worse, dead.
Being a bodyguard and hitman is in Vince Accardo’s blood. He’s loyal, dedicated and doesn’t allow anything to interfere with doing his job until he meets the club’s cute new piano player. There’s no denying the younger man is easy on the eyes, but he’s also friendly, pleasant to be around, talented and surprisingly innocent for someone accustomed to the jazz scene. It’s easy for Vince to admit he wants David as a lover, but it’s much more difficult to admit he wants more, especially with the threat of violence and death hanging over their heads.
The Bad and the Beautiful is the latest release by talented writing duo Jamie Craig. Its set in the mob-controlled, seedy world of 1955 Las Vegas. I must admit that when I read the blurb for this M/M historical, I wasn’t certain what to expect. I guess that’s because Vince’s line of work is so unusual in a primary character…bodyguard and hitman for the mob. With his occupation, I initially expected Vince to be hard, brutal and uncaring and while I’ll say he is those things, in certain circumstances, with David, he’s just the opposite. This is just one area where the author did well. It would have been easy for them to make him as expected…a rough and unfeeling killer. Instead, they created a multi-dimensional man who was willing to show a warm, tender and gentle side to his lover.
David was, also, an interesting character. On the surface, he appears innocent and rather naïve but then he makes a statement that shows his knowledge of the death and violence swirling around him. This feature of his personality, as well has his guilt over his cravings for sexual intimacy with men, is handled nicely, giving a good feel for David’s emotional and religious upbringing. When he finally gives in to his attraction for Vince, it’s a real ah ha moment which changes his life forever.
I love the setting, and from the small details in the story, can tell the authors did their research on the era. Hearing the characters mention Bugsy Siegel, the old Chicago mob, and the way Las Vegas was run in the fifties, grounded the tale in historical truth. I, for one, would love to see a sequel following Vince and David on their enforced ‘vacation.’
Author: Jamie Craig
Publisher: Amber Allure
Publisher: www.amberquill.com/AmberAllure
ISBN: 978-1-60272-643-7
Genre: [M/M] Historical
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
All David Lonergan wants is to play music. When his cousin, Kate Ennis, is offered a job singing at the Thunderbird Club in Las Vegas, he’s thrilled at the chance to accompany her and be part of the headlining act. Used to playing piano in jazz clubs all over Chicago, nothing much about the new town dazzles him until he sets eyes on Vincent “Shorty” Accardo. The burly bodyguard draws him like a moth to a flame. The question is whether getting close to the older man will get him burned, or even worse, dead.
Being a bodyguard and hitman is in Vince Accardo’s blood. He’s loyal, dedicated and doesn’t allow anything to interfere with doing his job until he meets the club’s cute new piano player. There’s no denying the younger man is easy on the eyes, but he’s also friendly, pleasant to be around, talented and surprisingly innocent for someone accustomed to the jazz scene. It’s easy for Vince to admit he wants David as a lover, but it’s much more difficult to admit he wants more, especially with the threat of violence and death hanging over their heads.
The Bad and the Beautiful is the latest release by talented writing duo Jamie Craig. Its set in the mob-controlled, seedy world of 1955 Las Vegas. I must admit that when I read the blurb for this M/M historical, I wasn’t certain what to expect. I guess that’s because Vince’s line of work is so unusual in a primary character…bodyguard and hitman for the mob. With his occupation, I initially expected Vince to be hard, brutal and uncaring and while I’ll say he is those things, in certain circumstances, with David, he’s just the opposite. This is just one area where the author did well. It would have been easy for them to make him as expected…a rough and unfeeling killer. Instead, they created a multi-dimensional man who was willing to show a warm, tender and gentle side to his lover.
David was, also, an interesting character. On the surface, he appears innocent and rather naïve but then he makes a statement that shows his knowledge of the death and violence swirling around him. This feature of his personality, as well has his guilt over his cravings for sexual intimacy with men, is handled nicely, giving a good feel for David’s emotional and religious upbringing. When he finally gives in to his attraction for Vince, it’s a real ah ha moment which changes his life forever.
I love the setting, and from the small details in the story, can tell the authors did their research on the era. Hearing the characters mention Bugsy Siegel, the old Chicago mob, and the way Las Vegas was run in the fifties, grounded the tale in historical truth. I, for one, would love to see a sequel following Vince and David on their enforced ‘vacation.’
No comments:
Post a Comment