
Title: The Replacement Guitarist
Author: Lori Toland
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-61581-219-6
Genre: [M/M] Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
When Blaze Shinozuka gets the opportunity to audition for the position of replacement guitarist for world famous singer Cassie, he’s thrilled. He’s worked hard at school to be proficient with his guitar and he’s determined to make a life playing music, despite his parent’s disapproval of his choice of instruments. When he arrives at the audition, he catches the eye of Jason Stockton, Cassie’s manager and the sparks fly. Taking the job thrusts the inexperienced Blaze into a world capable of destroying him, but it also puts him in close proximity to a man he desires, but should leave alone.
Jason Stockton always tries to maintain a professional distance between the workers and artists in Cassie’s band. His instant attraction to the new guitarist is not only unexpected, it’s worrisome and unsettling. After his heart was broken by an ex-lover, he’s refused to allow anyone close enough to hurt him. Yet Blaze’s exotic beauty draws him like a moth to a flame and he’s willing to take the chance to get burned. Can these two men find a way to be together, or will the trials and tribulations of living in the world of rock and roll drive them apart?
The Replacement Guitarist is the first release by new author Lori Toland and it’s a look into the world of rock and roll and the people who inhabit it.
Blaze is an interesting character. He’s a dedicated young musician determined to pursue a life playing the instrument he loves, even if that mean defying his traditional-minded parents. I enjoyed his character and felt I had a good feel for the family he came from and what motivated him. While their part in the story was rather small, I enjoyed the scenes that included his grandmother and brother; these really let you see inside the person Blaze was, and why he was determined to stand on his own two feet and live life his way…not his parents. The secondary character with the biggest part to play was Jason’s trusted assistant, Jennifer. I liked her interaction with Blaze and she made her scenes come alive. In fact, I wish she’d been included more.
Jason might be handsome and come from a famous family, but he seems rather ordinary and unexciting on the surface. While I understand that events in his past caused him to act the way he did, I still didn’t feel like I had a good handle on the real man inside…the one he didn’t show to the world. Yes, I know, I was shown many things about him, but I didn’t feel them.
The sparks fly between Jason and Blaze from the moment they meet. It’s not long before they are in a committed relationship and the sex is intense, frequent and passionate. I liked Jason’s determination to include Blaze in all aspects of his personal life. Don’t get me wrong, he tried to keep their involvement professional while at work where they could be seen but at other times, he was willing to be open to the people around him. These two are as different as different can be, so I wasn’t certain Ms. Toland could get Blaze and Jason together and keep them there. Yet, she did, giving the ending a satisfying conclusion.
Author: Lori Toland
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publisher URL: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-61581-219-6
Genre: [M/M] Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
When Blaze Shinozuka gets the opportunity to audition for the position of replacement guitarist for world famous singer Cassie, he’s thrilled. He’s worked hard at school to be proficient with his guitar and he’s determined to make a life playing music, despite his parent’s disapproval of his choice of instruments. When he arrives at the audition, he catches the eye of Jason Stockton, Cassie’s manager and the sparks fly. Taking the job thrusts the inexperienced Blaze into a world capable of destroying him, but it also puts him in close proximity to a man he desires, but should leave alone.
Jason Stockton always tries to maintain a professional distance between the workers and artists in Cassie’s band. His instant attraction to the new guitarist is not only unexpected, it’s worrisome and unsettling. After his heart was broken by an ex-lover, he’s refused to allow anyone close enough to hurt him. Yet Blaze’s exotic beauty draws him like a moth to a flame and he’s willing to take the chance to get burned. Can these two men find a way to be together, or will the trials and tribulations of living in the world of rock and roll drive them apart?
The Replacement Guitarist is the first release by new author Lori Toland and it’s a look into the world of rock and roll and the people who inhabit it.
Blaze is an interesting character. He’s a dedicated young musician determined to pursue a life playing the instrument he loves, even if that mean defying his traditional-minded parents. I enjoyed his character and felt I had a good feel for the family he came from and what motivated him. While their part in the story was rather small, I enjoyed the scenes that included his grandmother and brother; these really let you see inside the person Blaze was, and why he was determined to stand on his own two feet and live life his way…not his parents. The secondary character with the biggest part to play was Jason’s trusted assistant, Jennifer. I liked her interaction with Blaze and she made her scenes come alive. In fact, I wish she’d been included more.
Jason might be handsome and come from a famous family, but he seems rather ordinary and unexciting on the surface. While I understand that events in his past caused him to act the way he did, I still didn’t feel like I had a good handle on the real man inside…the one he didn’t show to the world. Yes, I know, I was shown many things about him, but I didn’t feel them.
The sparks fly between Jason and Blaze from the moment they meet. It’s not long before they are in a committed relationship and the sex is intense, frequent and passionate. I liked Jason’s determination to include Blaze in all aspects of his personal life. Don’t get me wrong, he tried to keep their involvement professional while at work where they could be seen but at other times, he was willing to be open to the people around him. These two are as different as different can be, so I wasn’t certain Ms. Toland could get Blaze and Jason together and keep them there. Yet, she did, giving the ending a satisfying conclusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment