Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lorcan’s Desire

Title: Lorcan’s Desire
Author:  SJD Peterson
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN: 978-1-61581-889-1
Genre: {M/M}, Contemporary Western, Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph 

At twenty-one, Lorcan is ready to step out from under his family’s shadow and find some adventure of his own.  Heading out on foot, it’s not long before the young man is desperate for shelter and work.  With only a few cents in his pocket, Lorcan is willing to do any job he can get. 

Lorcan’s Desire is the first book in the A Whispering Pines Ranch series.  While the story pulled me in from the beginning, and had me staying up late, even switching to my laptop when the battery on my ereader died, I am finding it a hard story to review.  Even after staying up late to see how the story would end, I can not decide if I liked Lorcan’s Desire or not.  Lorcan and Quinn are very interesting and complex characters, and while there is some chemistry between them from the start, there are many complications such as Lorcan’s confusion over his sexuality and Quinn’s desire to stay deeply in the closet.  As you would expect it is these complications, and others, that lead to some major misunderstandings.  It is also during this time when Lorcan’s immaturity and Quinn’s insecurities come to the forefront.  The fact that Lorcan seems to be forming a connection to another ranch hand doesn’t help matters much and, after the introduction of Jess into the story, it feels, at times, as if there are now three main characters.  While it was easy to see that Lorcan and Quinn had the beginnings of a strong relationship, even  if they had to work at it a little, it wasn’t long before I started to feel as if this was a couple that was never really meant to be.  The misunderstandings seemed to take over the story, with both men finding it easy to give up on what they may have found. 

As the men’s journey is set to continue in the next book, Lorcan’s Desire has neither a HEA nor a HFN ending.  While my feelings regarding the story are still very much in the air, I am anxiously awaiting the next book, as I am curious how things between Lorcan and Quinn will be resolved.

2 comments:

SJD Peterson said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read Lorcan's Desire and for writing this great review. I know Lorcan's immaturity and Quinn's cowardice was frustrating, but I'm glad you're looking forward to the next phase of Lorcan's Journey. He might just surprise you :)

Again I thank you for your time and your thorough review!
Jo

Tom said...

I very much agree. The storyline captivated me, and the characters drew me in at the same time they frustrated the hell out of me. Sometimes the anticipation of the story ending with a HEA fights against the wish for it to keep on going.

In this case, I found the way Ms. Peterson make the characters so imperfect and flawed added to the suspense of the story and kept me going at the same time I wanted to kick both of their asses.

The payoff was great for me, and the ending had me going, "WTF", but also made me want to come back and beg for her to continue to story, like RIGHT NOW.

I found I like the delayed gratification in this case. It reminds me a lot of the "Little Boy Lost" series I am reading at the moment - I love every minute of it, want to rush to the happy ending, but want it to last. Such a sweet edging.

I look forward to where Ms. Peterson takes me next! I know I will be following.