Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vodka Shots

Title: Vodka Shots
Author: Marteeka Karland
Publisher: Changeling Press
ISBN: 978-1-60521-643-0
Genre: {M/F} Futuristic, Action-Adventure, Suspense, Sci-Fi
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer:  Amethyst Nymph 

Dmitry has been sold out by a woman who means the world to him. Four months ago, he woke up to find his bed empty and his woman gone.  Now he’s torn between making her pay and dragging her back into his bed.  His misplaced trust nearly got Dmitry killed and left him with one question that he desperately needs answered.  Why did she leave him?   

Karri knew Dmitry would find her eventually and that their reunion would be a volatile one.  When her daughter is taken, Karri is forced to take action.  If she doesn’t give up the information that The Consolidation wants, her daughter will be killed.  Sacrificing the man she loved was the only way.  Unless Karri can convince Dmitry that she’s telling the truth, they are all in danger.  Will he put aside his anger and help her or has she pushed him too far? 

Dmitry has built up lot of anger toward Karri, but also anger toward himself for still wanting her, even though he doesn’t yet know the reason she betrayed him.  As much as I understood his position, there were moments I felt Dmitry’s treatment of Karri was too rough.  Fortunately, he got a grip on himself before he crossed a line that would make me dislike him.  Once he knew what happened to Karri’s daughter and didn’t miss a beat in wanting to protect her, I easily forgave him.  Part of me can’t help wishing Karri would have had more faith in Dmitry from the beginning.  However, the mother in me easily understands her reasons, so I just can’t find fault in her decision.  I was relieved by the loyalty she and Hawk both had for Dmitry, although there were some moments I had doubts.  Hawk has piqued my interest and I’m looking forward to reading more about him.  It seems that he might have met his match.  

Vodka Shots is the second story of the Wanted series, but I think it can be read as a stand-alone story.  Readers will have no problem connecting with the story or the characters.  I found it difficult to pick one side over the other.  Marteeka Karland does an outstanding job of making you feel what Dmitry and Karri felt, because their emotions literally jumped off the pages.  It would be impossible to decide which character I liked more, because I bonded with them both, but for different reasons.  The balance of action, turmoil, and hot sex was perfect and it left me wanting more.  I am sure readers will agree.

1 comment:

Marteeka Karland said...

Thanks so much for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. :)