Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Light of Day

Title: Light of Day
Author: Sue Brown
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN: 978-1-61372-352-4 
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary Series
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Dragon Minx 

When Robert walked away from Max to get married, Max was devastated with the loss. A year later, Max’s still heartbroken. He’s moved back home and found another hotel management job, but dreams of reuniting with the man he lost. Robert, being a famous upcoming actor, makes it easy for Max to keep tabs on him in the media. When Robert’s new marriage falls apart months later, Max hopes Robert will come looking for him. 

He waits and then waits some more, until one day Robert shows up in Max’s parents backyard. As much as he wants to be with Robert, Max doesn’t want to be a secret boyfriend, either. What are they going to do? 

Light of Day is release number two in Sue Brown’s Night Porter series. It takes up about one year after the first book left off and they should be read in order or you’ll be lost.   

After the non-HEA ending of Night Porter, I was surprised with this sequel, but knew I had to read it. I wasn’t certain what to expect. I hoped Max would get the happiness he deserved but the author had to win me over with Robert. He wasn’t my favorite person because of the previous ending but Ms. Brown skillfully wove his reasoning and personal circumstances into the story, making me understand his feelings better.  

The plot is smooth, flows well and despite having flawed personalities, both Max and Robert deal with believable issues.  That’s one of the things I really appreciated about this novella. These two guys have real world problems influencing their life. It’s the adage that a gay man can’t be a great leading man that still goes on in Hollywood today, causing actors to hide their true selves. Robert asks Max to hide their relationship…I understood why he wouldn’t…and Ms. Brown handled this nicely. There are other issues they face as they struggle to make their relationship work, producing an intense and enjoyable read. I don’t know what the plans are for this couple but I look forward to learning more.

No comments: