Author: Carol Lynne
Publisher: Total
E-Bound
Publisher URL: www.total-e-bound.com
ISBN/BIN: 978-0-85715-918-2
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Mike Shriver needs to
get away from the man he loves, but can’t have, so when the construction
company he co-owns gets a job in Kansas City , he
jumps at the chance to leave Chicago
for a few months. With the new project, building a gay athletic club in the Brookside neighborhood, he meets and falls for Ray
DeMonico.
Knowing Ray is
involved in a long-term relationship; Mike knows he can’t come between Ray and his
partner, Brent. Then one day he finds Brent in a compromising situation at the
local gym and later, again at a local gay bar. Now Mike has to decide what to
do. Tell Ray or not? When the truth comes out, everything changes…but Mike will
stand with the man he loves. It also means they have to find a way around the
financing because Ray can’t afford the club on his own. It’s a bad situation
and Brent’s aggressive attitude isn’t helping.
I’ll Stand By You is the first release in Carol Lynne’s new series, Brookside Athletic Club. It’s a spin-off from Seasons of Love series but it’s not necessary that you be familiar
with those characters first.
So it doesn’t catch
anyone by surprise, be aware that some may find a few events in the opening
scenes objectionable. Sorry, no details-spoiler alert. I will say the
occurrences fit in with the direction the plot is headed and the relationships
of the characters.
I like Ray, but he’s
let his jerk partner, Brent, tromp over him for a long time. It made him appear
wimpy…at least initially. Did I mention how much I dislike Brent? Whereas Ray
is an unselfish, caring and tenderhearted guy, Brent is immature, manipulative
and emotionally abusive. Then there’s Mike who deserves some happiness after
pining after Sidney
(from Seasons of Love series) for
years. He’s a good guy who offers support instead of trying to break up an
established couple. I like this guy. Putting him with Ray after he breaks from
Brent works well, making them both happy.
I’m rambling…back on task.
The concept works, the story flows well and once the plot focuses more on Ray
and Mike, it moves faster. Their
attraction is strong initially, got more so as the story progresses and once it
turns physical, it is sizzling hot. These two have a lot in common and the
author did a nice job expressing how well they related to each other.
One of my niggles is
the short length. While it shows as 102 pages, the story itself is 82 written pages,
since the first chapter of her next standalone release and her book list is at
the end. My other niggle is how the book ends. It’s just odd and I’m not sure how
it will play out in the future. The next book in the series is Gonna Make You Sweat, coming in June.

No comments:
Post a Comment