Thursday, June 27, 2013

Soldier of Fortune’s Downfall

Author: Charlie Richards
Publisher: eXtasy Books
ISBN/BIN: 978-1-77111-561-2
Genre: {M/M}, Paranormal, Series
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Critter Nymph

Raven has been working for the scientists for years now, and while he has known for some time that everything with them was not what it seemed, he saw no reason to change.  Then one day he smells something wonderful coming from one of the labs and Raven’s life changes in more ways than one.

I was excited to see that Soldier of Fortune’s Downfall, the newest book in the Wolves of Stone Ridge series, was going to be about Raven, and wondered just how the author was going to make this ‘bad guy’ a hero.  Raven is one of the scientists’ enhanced soldiers and, from the time he first showed up, it was hard for me to make up my mind about whether or not I liked him.  I have to say, I was surprised by some of the things we learn about Raven and understand the soldier a little better now.  It also means that watching the soldier go from someone who only cares about himself to someone who needs to care for his mate, made for some exciting reading.

Raven’s mate is Liam, a young Artic Fox shifter who is being held by the scientists.  Readers know just what it means the moment that Raven catches the fox’s scent and the fact that he will need to rescue Liam means there will be a lot of action.  While I was expecting the action, I was a little surprised that Raven’s first thought was to turn to Declan and his pack for help.  There is a lot of tension between the pack members and Raven, all of which is understandable.  Watch for a lot of action once the rescue mission starts.

Even with Liam in fox form, it is easy to see the way Raven cares for the shifter.  When the young fox is in human form, the attraction between the men is strong, yet while Raven knows the two are mates, Liam has yet to figure it out.  That isn’t the only obstacle in the men’s path and I was a little surprised that Raven did not catch on right away about the problems with Liam’s Alpha.  Raven has a lot of adjusting to do now that he is part of the shifter world, rather than working with the scientists, and I wish we could have seen a little more of that.  

The author also used Soldier of Fortune’s Downfall to introduce a new twist to the series.  I did not see this twist coming and when the author did not show all of what happened, I was a little perturbed.  I can’t wait to see what the outcome will be, or how it will carry over to Kontra’s Menagerie.  Because some of the topics carry over from one story to the other as well as crossing series, I would recommend reading the stories in order.

No comments: