Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dead Man’s Rain


Book Title: Dead Man’s Rain
Author: Frank Tuttle
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60504-033-2
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Nymph Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Satyr Vael

Rannit is a town where Trolls lurk in caves and tunnels, spooks and other things that go bump in the night traipse around the town. Markhat is a War vet who mourns his Sarge’s death and makes his way by being a Finder--one who finds fathers and sons gone missing after the War. Mama Hog, his dubious “friend”--an aging cryptic card-reader--sends him work in the form of Widow Merlat.

It seems the rich widow is seeing her dead husband walk the grounds of their mansion. Convinced the wraith is after her, she asks Markhat to find out how to deal with it. When Markhat arrives at the estate, however, he finds much more than tales of spooks. Between a grouchy but ultimately friendly butler, a pack of dogs, and three very bizarre (and far-from-good) heirs to the Merlat fortune, Markhat has his hands full with this whole ghost business.

Dead Man’s Rain was….well, interesting. In a good way, mind you. One thing is certain: Frank Tuttle excels at atmosphere. From the very first paragraph, you know you’re in for one hell of a paranormal ride. The attention to detail in the world, the characters, the action, makes for an amazing story. I don’t know if this is going to be a series, but I’d certainly enjoy reading more of Markhat and this world in which he lives.

While this isn’t a romance, if you enjoy fantasy with a touch of paranormal, you’ll like Dead Man’s Rain. I give it 4.5 Nymphs.

2 comments:

jessewave said...

I bought this book a couple of weeks ago but hadn't gotten around to reading it. Having read your review it makes me want to put it on top of my TBR pile. I love this stuff, with or without the romance.

Vael said...

It's a great book. I definitely recommend it. :D

-Vael