Monday, May 11, 2009

The Sarran Plague


Title: The Sarran Plague
Author: A.C. Katt
Publisher: Eternal Press
Publisher URL: http://www.eternalpress.ca/
ISBN: 978-1-926647-67-8
Genre: Science Fiction/Erotic/M/M/F Ménage
Nymph Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

When the Sarran Fleet returns home, the warriors are horrified to discover that their hated enemy, the Zyptz, have released a virus into the atmosphere, killing all the fertile females on the planet. Faced with the destruction of the Sarran race, the fleet heads out into the galaxy in search of a planet with fems capable of physically and psychically bonding to a warrior pair, thus completing a triad. After nearly two cycles, they find the planet they are looking for…Earth. Many fear the females on this small backward world will be unable to complete the bond the warriors need, but that fear is soon put to rest. As the fleet gets closer to their destination, the mental voices of fems are felt calling out to their mates. The women are afraid, alone, in pain and dying after being infected by an unknown virus that has decimated the fertile females of the planet.

The mate of Admirals Tonas and Jonal is one of those voices calling out into space…one of the women dying in agony. Once these two warriors mentally bond with their mate, Dr. Anya Forrest, they are determined to save her no matter what the cost, or what deal they have to make with a corrupt government.

The Sarran Plague is the first book by author A.C. Katt that I’ve had the chance to read, and I’ll say up front that I found this science fiction romance to be both entertaining and enjoyable. Ms. Katt has done a very nice job in her world-building, giving a comprehensive understanding of human and Sarran society under attack by unseen forces, bent on the complete destruction of all humanoid life-forms. I must admit that you don’t really learn much about the Zyptz race until nearly the end, and then I cringed at what Earth creature they resembled, and laughed at what could destroy them. That little addition was a perfect out-of-the-blue surprise I really appreciated.

For an unknown author (for me), I was very pleased to find that Ms. Katt pulled me into the story on the very first page and kept my interest until the last word. The story flow is fast-paced but smooth, and it has all the components needed for an exciting story, no matter what the genre. You’ve got pain, suffering, love, desire, and passion, a culture in flux, deceit, betrayal and blistering hot sex between Tonas, Jonal and Anya. What more could you ask? How about some interesting secondary characters, both human and psychic feline, who round out the tale nicely, giving it depth and forward momentum.

I don’t know if Ms. Katt has any intention of turning this book into a series, but I, for one, would welcome more tales of the Sarran warriors as they struggle to re-build their world and claim their destined mates.

No comments: