Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blue Fire


Title: Blue Fire
Author: Z.A. Maxfield
Publisher: Loose Id
Publisher URL: http://www.loose-id.com/
ISBN: 978-1-59632-980-5
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

Jared Kenny has lost everything. His famous husband, Keith, died of cancer a few months before and now a devastating fire has destroyed the award-winning house they shared, along with all his belongings. It did however bring something good into his life, compassionate firefighter Adam Collins and his brilliant blue eyes.

Adam might not have been able to stop the fire, but it didn’t stop his desire to help Jared cope with its aftermath. When the emotionally unsettled Jared isn’t getting better, Adam takes him to his family’s mountain cabin in Colorado for a couple of weeks of much needed quiet. It’s in this isolated, snowy mountain retreat that the two men give in to their passion.

No matter how much he cares for Adam, Jared is afraid of losing himself in his lover’s dominate protective arms and he flees. He allows Adam to return to California, while he stays in Colorado to start a new life, indulging his newfound passion of working with glass and obsessively working to find the perfect shade of blue. The same blinding blue as Adam’s eyes. It takes a fiery tragedy to make Jared realize he’d thrown away what he’d been looking for all along. The question is whether Adam can forget the pain of the past, so they can have a happy future…together.

I’ve never met a Z.A. Maxfield book that I didn’t like, and Blue Fire is no exception. I admit that I didn’t know what to make of Jared in the beginning. He’s stressed, emotionally wounded and extremely depressed, and I wasn’t certain Ms. Maxfield could get these two men together, but she did and did it convincingly. That’s not to say that everything is rosy for these two lovers, because it isn’t. Far, far from it, in fact.

I truly appreciated the realism in this novella. Life isn’t all wine-and-roses perfect and oftentimes doesn’t work out as you’d like, and this is where Ms. Maxfield excelled. The basic premise sucked me in, the characters kept my interest and the well-written storyline compelled me to rush to the end. I liked Adam, but this story definitely revolves around Jared and the healing he goes through as he reclaims his life. When he rushes to Adam’s side, he’s a much different person than when last they met. He’s grown, healed and come into his own as a person and as an artist. He’s at a place where he can be what he and Adam both need in order for them to be happy. If Adam will let him.

No comments: