Title: Line
in the Sand
Author: Ari McKay
Publisher: Torquere
Press
Publisher URL: www.torquerebooks.com
ISBN/BIN:
978-1-61040-800-4
Genre: {M/M}
Contemporary Series
Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs
Reviewer: Dragon Minx
Alec Davis works for
Hercules Security and his latest assignment is as bodyguard to Jonathan
Baldwin, one of Hollywood ’s
popular young actors. Alec’s loyal and dedicated but for a man who believes in
doing things by the book, keeping Jon safe may be difficult when he’s so
grateful to his fans that he dives into crowds without thinking. Another
problem is Alec’s attraction to Jon. It’s unprofessional but he doesn’t want to
resign either and the situation is further complicated when Jon confesses the
attraction is mutual.
Jon’s pre-filming
vacation turns perilous when he and Alec are caught by a flash flood while
rafting down a Central American river. Without communication and days from
civilization, Jon takes ill and gets sicker by the hour. It’s up to Alec to
find a way through the jungle and get Jon to a medical facility before it’s too
late. He can’t lose the man he loves, not when they’ve just found each other.
Line in the Sand is the second release in Ari McKay’s Herc’s Mercs series. Since previous characters are only mentioned
this release can be read as a standalone if desired.
The pairing of a bodyguard
and a movie star isn’t a new idea in a romance. So you really knew what you
were getting from the start with this novella length read. It’s approximately
137 pages so the plot has to move along quickly to get them from bodyguard to
boyfriend and make it believable. That’s the problem for me—the believability. Don’t
get me wrong, I like both Alec and Jon. They seem nice—and would make good
friends to hang around with, but in the building of the relationship phase of
the story, I didn’t feel it. It seems more like I was being told they liked
each other.
It wasn’t until the
Central American vacation that I could see a change. It’s during this dangerous
time in the jungle that I finally felt their emotions and how much they cared
for each other. From this point on is what saved the book for me. There’s
plenty of action, emotion, nicely done descriptions, and life and death
situations. I just wish I could have enjoyed the first half as much as I liked
the last.

No comments:
Post a Comment