
Title: Sparta Rose
Author: Ginger Simpson
Publisher: Eternal Press
Publisher URL: http://www.eternalpress.ca/
ISBN: 978-1-926640-63-1
Genre: Western Historical M/F Romance
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph
Ever since Ellie can remember, she’s wanted to make her Pa proud. After losing her Mother early on in life, it’s always been just her, Pa and their cook around until Tyler Bishop came along, that is. Ty is handsome and skilled and soon gets into Pa’s good books, much to Ellie’s annoyance. She’s starting to think that Ty is the son her Pa has always wanted, but Ellie isn’t going to let her heritage go to the likes of this cowboy without a fight.
Tyler can’t believe his luck when Mr. Fountain invites him into his family. Ty’s determined to make him proud and protect his newfound home from the wicked Bryant family, who live on the neighboring land. Mr. Bryant and his sons are nothing but trouble but when they start using devious tactics to rid the land of the Fountain family, Ty will do anything to protect the people he has come to love. It doesn’t help that Miss Ellie seems determined to distract him from his goal. If she’s not careful, her fiery temper is going to get them all into trouble.
I enjoyed reading Sparta Rose, with its interesting characters that I made a connection with and a story line that hooked me immediately. The era that the story is set in is well described and the language used paints a vivid picture for me although I couldn’t help but feel the historical references seemed thrown in just for the sake of it and didn’t really add to the story. To me, the lives of the Fountain’s and the Bryant’s weren’t really a result of the troubled times the story is set in - fighting over land seems quite common to me so I didn’t think the link was necessary. Bearing in mind though that my knowledge of American history is a little rusty, I can’t really comment on the accuracy.
The character of Ellie was very well portrayed. Still a child in so many ways but obviously maturing fast, she infuriated me at times with her stubbornness but had me sniffling at what she has been through and still endures. I don’t believe the author will be upset at me wanting to strangle her at times though as I think this was the desired effect. Ty takes a little longer to warm to but it becomes clear that he isn’t a threat to Ellie and her family at all. One thing I would say, I was expecting something a little different from what I got. The initial tension between Ellie and Ty had me fantasizing about when they give in to their feelings. However, as time went on I realized this was not on the cards, due to their age and the period it is set in. There are plenty of lust filled thoughts and sweet kisses but most of the characters, Bryant family withstanding, behave in the proper way. The ending annoyed me a little as although the characters relationship evolves nicely, I would much rather have read about it in detail, rather than skip forward five years in their lives. Although I could have done with a little more action between the characters, this was a very enjoyable romance story with fiery characters.
Author: Ginger Simpson
Publisher: Eternal Press
Publisher URL: http://www.eternalpress.ca/
ISBN: 978-1-926640-63-1
Genre: Western Historical M/F Romance
Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph
Ever since Ellie can remember, she’s wanted to make her Pa proud. After losing her Mother early on in life, it’s always been just her, Pa and their cook around until Tyler Bishop came along, that is. Ty is handsome and skilled and soon gets into Pa’s good books, much to Ellie’s annoyance. She’s starting to think that Ty is the son her Pa has always wanted, but Ellie isn’t going to let her heritage go to the likes of this cowboy without a fight.
Tyler can’t believe his luck when Mr. Fountain invites him into his family. Ty’s determined to make him proud and protect his newfound home from the wicked Bryant family, who live on the neighboring land. Mr. Bryant and his sons are nothing but trouble but when they start using devious tactics to rid the land of the Fountain family, Ty will do anything to protect the people he has come to love. It doesn’t help that Miss Ellie seems determined to distract him from his goal. If she’s not careful, her fiery temper is going to get them all into trouble.
I enjoyed reading Sparta Rose, with its interesting characters that I made a connection with and a story line that hooked me immediately. The era that the story is set in is well described and the language used paints a vivid picture for me although I couldn’t help but feel the historical references seemed thrown in just for the sake of it and didn’t really add to the story. To me, the lives of the Fountain’s and the Bryant’s weren’t really a result of the troubled times the story is set in - fighting over land seems quite common to me so I didn’t think the link was necessary. Bearing in mind though that my knowledge of American history is a little rusty, I can’t really comment on the accuracy.
The character of Ellie was very well portrayed. Still a child in so many ways but obviously maturing fast, she infuriated me at times with her stubbornness but had me sniffling at what she has been through and still endures. I don’t believe the author will be upset at me wanting to strangle her at times though as I think this was the desired effect. Ty takes a little longer to warm to but it becomes clear that he isn’t a threat to Ellie and her family at all. One thing I would say, I was expecting something a little different from what I got. The initial tension between Ellie and Ty had me fantasizing about when they give in to their feelings. However, as time went on I realized this was not on the cards, due to their age and the period it is set in. There are plenty of lust filled thoughts and sweet kisses but most of the characters, Bryant family withstanding, behave in the proper way. The ending annoyed me a little as although the characters relationship evolves nicely, I would much rather have read about it in detail, rather than skip forward five years in their lives. Although I could have done with a little more action between the characters, this was a very enjoyable romance story with fiery characters.
No comments:
Post a Comment