Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Double Happiness


Book Title: Double Happiness
Author: Shayla Kersten
Publisher: Ellora's Cave
Publisher URL: http://www.ellorascave.com/
ISBN: 9781419917912
Genre: Contemporary, Gay
Nymph Rating: 5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Scandalous Minx


Chen Jin Tai is preparing for his commitment ceremony with his lover David Anderson. Their perfectly blissful celebration is about to hit some serious turbulence – Tai’s mother is coming to the wedding. While he is optimistic of her desire to accept his lifestyle, David knows the Ice Queen is only showing up to cause trouble. The disturbance caused by the little spitfire has the couple realizing that there are important discussions that never came up in the course of their relationship. Is there a way to create a winning outcome for them all?

Shayla Kersten shows us just the kind of mother who makes your spouse require bail money in Double Happiness. Tai has missed the close relationship with his mother since he decided to come out. While he has had years to accept his sexuality, his mother was in the dark until he fell in love two years prior. David would do anything keep Tai happy. The man deserved a Congressional Medal for dealing with the overbearing woman. I found myself wishing it was a WWF tag team match and David could slap my hand to bring me in the ring. Wow, she was quite a piece of work! And to think, all of this drama could have been squashed two years ago with just a few well placed words. Nevertheless, I will admit her antagonizing David definitely brought some entertainment into this story. If you want to see a man earn the person he loves by fighting the good fight, then you will enjoy Double Happiness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am fortunate enough to be one of Shayla's crit partners, so I got to read this story as it was being created. It is wonderful, isn't it?

Great review of a touching story.

Anonymous said...

Yes I really enjoyed this story. I have to admit it was hard not to make reference to some of the things the mother said, but I'm sure the future readers will appreciate me leaving those bits out.

Shayla Kersten said...

Thank you for the fabulous review, Scandalous Minx!

One of the writers in my critique group kept talking about bitch slapping the mother. I sent her your comment about the tag team match and she cracked up!

Hugs!
Shayla

Anonymous said...

It's always that one inlaw that makes bail money a necessity. Well this mom took me there lol. Happy to see I wasn't the only one with those thoughts! I was about write the bitch slapping comment but didnt think I could get sneak it pass the final inspection (giggling).