Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jump First

Title: Jump First
Author: Charles Edward
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
ISBN: 978-1-61581-992-8
Genre: {M/M} Contemporary
Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph 

Heath loves to read the latest Marguerite May romance novels but he’s too shy to admit to anyone else that he likes nothing better than a good book with some hot man-on-man action. Heath just happens to be a senior in the same class as Ryan, his favorite author’s son, so when Ryan offers him the opportunity to join Marguerite’s writing group, Heath is surprised, but doesn’t think twice. And if that opportunity just so happens to allow him plenty of “Ryan” time, then all the better for Heath. Now if only he could find the courage to be himself in front of Ryan.  

I enjoyed reading Jump First as Heath and Ryan are good characters – likable but real, with imperfections. The supporting characters were a little vague however; I didn’t really know whether to like them or not for much of the time. One thing I do know, I really started to dislike Marguerite May, which surprised me because at the start I would never have guessed she would turn out to be that kind of character. I really liked the idea of a story set around the world of writing but some members of the writing group just came across as too pretentious for my liking.  

The style of writing is nice and humorous, with a down to earth narrative from Heath. The plot kept my interest, and I liked the twists with who was helping who with their writing. I just thought it was a shame that Marguerite May was so unlikable. I almost feel like she was sacrificed to move Heath and Ryan’s story on. I would even describe her as an archetype villain. At times, the relationship between Marguerite, Ryan and Heath played out like a soap opera, with lots of yelling and saying whatever came to mind, without caring about consequences. This certainly created a lot of drama and let the story live up to its title perfectly.

No comments: