Monday, January 5, 2009

Sleeping Bears Lie


Book Title: Sleeping Bears Lie
Author: Alex Draven
Publisher: Torquere Press
Publisher URL: http://www.torquerepress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60370-507-3
Genre: Contemporary M/M erotic romance/paranormal
Nymph Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Rose Nymph

It’s taken some time since he was hurt in an accident but Daniel Rushkin’s body is slowly healing. The physiotherapy is helping strengthen his knee so he no longer needs the crutches that have been the bane of his life for months now. Dan thought his heart was slowly repairing too, with the help and support of his friends but as he walks into Donnovan’s one night and sees Matt tending bar as if he’d never been away; chatting to him as if the summer had never happened, Dan loses it.

Dan needs answers, needs an explanation for Matt’s absence these past months, but most of all, he needs the feelings that stir within him at the mere sight of Matt’s body to go away. He promised himself he wouldn’t go down this path again, but when Matt comes to his place with words of apology and a need of his own in his eyes, all other thoughts fly out of his mind. The pair soon pick up where they left off before Matt’s disappearance, much to the chagrin of Dan’s roommates. However, Dan cannot quite get his head around the situation. Matt’s the same loving partner he was before hand, so why can’t Matt open up and share his secrets?

I was captured from the very start of Sleeping Bears Lie, the style of writing drawing me in immediately, intriguing me with little teases of what is to come. Written in Dan’s point of view the whole way through, I really felt as if Dan was speaking directly to me, telling me his story and it made me feel like I had to know the outcome; that I couldn’t stop until I knew exactly what was going on. I really was left guessing right until the end just what Matt’s story was and although the quality of the writing is maintained throughout, it wasn’t quite the satisfying ending I was hoping for. The accident that left Dan’s knee injured is touched upon, but never really explained in any detail. To me these are small quibbles. I was led through Dan’s mind and experienced the warring emotions as he did and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

No comments: