Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Divided Hearts


Title: Divided Hearts
Author: Terry O’Reilly
Publisher: Aspen Mountain Press
Publisher URL: http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60168-176-8
Genre: M/M Historical Romance
Nymph Rating: 4 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs reviewer: Rose Nymph

Nathaniel and his companion Robert are on their way to the Ohio territory, in search of a new life. Robert has strong feelings for Nathaniel but as the two men work closely together in their new home, it becomes apparent that Nathaniel just may not have enough room in his heart for another. The memories of their old life weighing heavy on his mind, Robert is called up to help the English in their negotiations with the Shawnee tribe by acting as translator. As he prepares to leave the man he loves dearly, Robert is torn by shocking news that could spell the end of his life with Nathaniel for good. When circumstances out of their control separate the two men, Robert meets Red Horse and begins to understand the conflict within Nathaniel’s heart.

Divided Hearts is a sequel that I believe provides closure to the loves and lives of the characters from Awakening, while introducing new and interesting characters who I would like to learn more about. I read its prequel with mixed emotions but I believe a lot of criticisms I had have been dealt with in this book. The writing runs smoothly and I found the detail of Shawnee life very interesting. Robert is a very likable character and I felt his heartache throughout. The plot was enjoyable and kept my interest. Although the author uses an innovative way to express the difficulties encountered with writing an historical romance, which I won’t spoil for the reader, I’m not sure it is all that successful as it felt, at times, as if I was being told what to think about what was going on in the story, instead of being left to make my own mind up. I was however, very happy with the outcome of this story and would definitely recommend losing yourself in this world.

No comments: