Friday, March 6, 2009

Fantasy Mountain


Title: Fantasy Mountain
Author: Piper Denna
Publisher: Sinful Moments Press
Publisher URL: http://www.sinfulmomentspress.com/
ISBN: 978-1-897562-24-6
Genre: M/F, F/F Erotica
Nymph Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs reviewer: Rose Nymph

After suffering unbearable tragedy Victoria West would have lost the will to live, if it wasn’t for her best friend Carmyn; the woman was there for her when she needed her most and Victoria won’t ever forget that. However, while she may have found a reason to live, Victoria seems to have given up on ever being happy again. Instead, she dedicates her life to fulfilling the fantasies of others. Thanks to a sizable insurance policy, she has the means to set up her very own Fantasy Mountain; where anything goes and with Victoria making deepest desires a reality, business is booming.

Victoria has money, power and fame but as much as she might hate to admit it, she couldn’t have done it all without Brett, her English attorney, or as she likes to call him, “Britt”. The chemistry between them from the start is palpable and both see no problem acting on it, just so long as Britt understands that he will never be allowed into her heart, ever.

Britt’s watched from the sidelines as men have come and gone from Victoria’s room. He was beginning to think that he couldn’t save Victoria from the life she was determined to lead. He had gone so far as to promise commitment to another, but Victoria was never far from his thoughts. When a lost soul turns up on her doorstep, Victoria has no choice but give them shelter. The effect this stranger has on Victoria makes Britt believe that not all hope is lost but he has to act fast.

Fantasy Mountain was an enjoyable read with very interesting characters. The author was successful in bringing out a range of emotions in me; I felt the pain Victoria has had to endure, the frustration Britt feels as he watches and the intense desire they have for each other. Their inability to communicate their true feelings drove me crazy at times but these characters are far from perfect so mistakes are inevitable.

There is a lot going on in this story and I feel the author may have packed too much drama into it. Just when I thought I had the plot figured out, something or someone else would spring up to add to the pair’s woes. If it wasn’t a jealous ex of Britt’s, it was the unwanted attention of both men and women causing Victoria trouble. There always seemed to be something to get in the way of the story concluding. Also, Britt was a very possessive character and the author pushed me to my limits in accepting his behavior at times. That being said, if you like drama that just keeps on coming, I recommend Fantasy Mountain. There is an underlying plot that drove me to want to finish the story and see the characters find closure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course all reviews are the readers' opinion, so I have to disagree with this review. I LOVED this story. There is so much raw emotion. One moment I was laughing and the next I was crying, on the same page!

As far as Brett, I don't think he was over the top possessive. I think any man would be jealous to see the woman he loves, the woman he has pined after, date his rival. He also sees Vic dating as a reject, even a slap in the face. She's never dated anyone that Brett knows of. He's always thought about Vic letting go of her hurt and loving again, but he's never thought that it could be with another man.

Yes, he's living his life with another woman, but that's because Vic refused to love anyone. Then right when he has accepted that fact, she starts dating. I can see that driving anyone a bit crazy.

Again, these are just my thoughts about the book.

Rose said...

Thank you for your comments! I would definitely agree that this was a very emotional story and the author brought out a lot of them in me.

Vic is an endearing character and I wanted to see her happy. Of course it was obvious to me that Brett could give her a lot of happiness but she had to work through her issues by herself and I can empathise with this.

Regarding Brett's posessiveness, I don't actually have a complaint with his behaviour as he was trying to convince Vic he was the one for her. It was more his behaviour with the ring after they had gotten together, and the incident that forced her to say "I hate you" that pushed me to the edge of feeling uncomfortable. That isn't to say that Vic wasn't partly responsible for Brett's actions but it felt kind of out of character of Brett, even if he had been pushed to his limits. I couldn't really have reviewed the story fairly without bringing up something that I had a slight personal difficulty with but I would hope that this doesn't disuade people from reading the author's work as there were far, far more positive points to this :)

Rose