Saturday, January 24, 2009

As Good as it Gets


Title: As Good as it Gets
Author: Zoe Nichols
Publisher: Torquere Press
Publisher URL: http://www.torquerebooks.com/
ISBN: N/A
Genre: Contemporary, M/M
Nymph Rating: 3 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs Reviewer: Caen Nymph

Rick really wants some ice-cream and whilst waiting in line, he meets Devon, the cute ice-cream scooper. Rick flirts a little but moves off, wondering what it would have been like to have that slender body in his arms. Fortunately, Rick meets Devon again in his bar and this time he’s decides to take Devon home with him.

Rick is an alpha male but without the arrogance. He knows he’s good in bed – but he wants both his pleasure and his partner’s to coincide. The erotic nature of this story is simply unashamedly hot. The author delves into the sexual play between Rick and Devon, but not so much that the sex scenes become empty and repetitive. However, what I found to be the down side was the author’s need to make this into a love story. The scale for a romance story is much higher and one this story could not play on. The sudden ‘I have fallen in love’ just made this story to be unbelievable and very jarring. The complete turn-around from sex to love was too big to ignore in this story and I felt the author notched down the enjoyment of the story for me.

Whilst As Good As It Gets is a good story, I just wish the author went with the flow, as opposed to making this into something it wasn’t ready to be. The characters were on a brink of a journey, one I would have loved to be a part of; but with the road the author led her characters it is suffice to say this is the premature end to what could have been an interesting path.

However the author’s use of language and characterisation are the redeeming points in this story. I can only have wished for a more believable conclusion for the characters in the end.

No comments: