Monday, January 19, 2009

The Promise of Kierna'Rhoan


Title: The Promise of Kierna'Rhoan
Author: Isabo Kelly
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60504-243-5
Genre: Romantic SciFi-Futuristic
Nymph Rating: 3.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Mystical Nymph

With the death of her parents, the sheltered and pampered life led by Kira Farseaker disappeared forever. In her grief she turned to her husband, only to find out later that he was part of the very society she’d come to hate and fear. Now she uses her vast fortune and position of power to fight for the survival of the shifters, an intelligent and evolving species threatened with certain extermination by the ruling government of the planet Narava. Her mission is as straightforward as it is dangerous, and a legacy left to her by her far-thinking family is the answer. Get as many of the shifters transported to the secret planet of Kierna’Rhoan as possible, before the location of their secret complex is discovered. Her plans are further complicated by her attraction to a brown-eyed man who could be a spy.

Officer David Cario is more than just as officer of the guard unit involved in the extermination of the shifters. He might have been sent to Kira to act as a spy, but he’s also a man with his own deeply personal and painful agenda. David is determined to discover the truth behind the execution of his idealistic sister, who supported the same political cause as Kira. What he doesn’t know is that in becoming part of Kira’s world, he’s going to open himself up to truths he didn’t want to know, and those unwelcome truths will change his perspective on Naravan society, and his life forever.

The Promise of Kierna’Rhoan starts out with a bang, when Kira and a small group of shifters are almost captured. This scene shows what a strong willed and determined woman Kira is and to what lengths she’s willing to go through for what she believes. Ms. Kelly does an excellent job of introducing most of the characters in this first chapter, and she does a great job building tension between the primary players.

I loved the shifters and would have loved to know more about their background and what their initial interaction with the humans had been; why the humans feared them and how their extermination got pushed through the government. I have to say that this portion of the plot reminded me of Hitler, the SS and his brown shirts, and the oven extermination of millions of innocent victims during WWII. In Kira’s ex-husband, Ennoren, you have the perfect villain, willing and able to abuse his power without any guilt that his actions and deeds are wrong.

David was an interesting character, and when I learned what in his past fueled his need to bring Ennoren to justice, I had my ‘ah ha’ moment, but I never thought I could trust him. Kira I found to be rather cold, so much so that I couldn’t really care much about what happened to her. The shifters of the other hand…them I wanted to survive and because Kira was the instrument that allowed that to occur…that fact alone made me like her.

No comments: