Saturday, January 24, 2009

Daybreak


Book Title: Daybreak
Author: Keira Andrews
Publisher: Loose Id
ISBN: 978-1-59632-809-9
Genre: LGBT Erotic Contemporary
Nymph Rating: 2.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymphs reviewer: Caen Nymph


Meeting for the first time last Hanukkah, Nate and Lucas embark on a new relationship after months apart. Now living in their own apartment, they can finally be together. However, the only thing to damper their foray into sexual bliss is the fact Nate is lying to his parents about who he really is.

Nate and Lucas’s dream finally shatters when they realise living together isn’t all so perfect. Both men go through a period of lies and deceit, but can they find their way back to each after?

Daybreak is the sequel to the author’s first story Eight Nights. The previous book introduced us to Nate and Lucas, and gives a glimpse of their steamy sex life together. Daybreak pushes the envelope showing the life of young adults, maneuvering their way through college life and everything in between. The author delves into a lot of issues in this book; living together for the first time, being in the closet, cheating and broken hearts. All these are great themes to build a very angst filled book. However all the hardships the characters go through, I had a hard time sympathising with either of them. The writing didn’t provoke any passion from me, didn’t evoke any sadness. When the characters went through their troubled times, I wish I could have felt the heartache within the writing, but sadly I didn’t. The passages seemed clinical to me, without any emotion.

I found the story to be too empty at times; it followed a set pattern in the beginning. Some dialogue, sex, some dialogue, sex and so forth until the main drama came along. I didn’t find the sex scenes remotely erotic, and I felt the story was just too bogged down with the main hero’s sexual encounters in the beginning.

I found the issues too neatly tied up, and unfortunately I didn’t believe the story in the end. However the author touches on some great topics in her story, and she has some sporadic moments were I did enjoy the tale, especially within her character Casey. I also liked the fact she centred both her stories on young adults, and attempted to show the life of college students and their life in general.

No comments: