
Title: Biting Nixie
Author: Mary Hughes
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60504-358-6
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Nymph Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
Nixie Schmeling is a twenty-five year old punk rock musician with the attitude of an Amazon, which comes in handy, considering she’s so petite that she’s often mistaken for a teenager. She’s dynamic and out-spoken, and considers buying insurance one-step above the grave, and hates the very idea of being a responsible adult. Nixie also has a strange quirk in her personality, which makes it nearly impossible for her to say no to anyone she’s known since she was in diapers. That little fact alone explains how she gets cornered into running the town’s first annual fundraising event. What she doesn’t know is that the money they’re raising is for a high-priced, heavy-hitting, three-piece suit wearing shark...I mean lawyer. Unfortunately, for her peace of mind, he’s also tall, dark, handsome, and has the biggest, bluest eyes she’s ever seen.
Julian Emerson has come to Meiers Corners from Boston, with the intention of protecting the small community from being annexed into the city of Chicago by a powerful group of suits, and an even more powerful group of vampires. An unfortunate event several centuries before taught Julian that the only way to hide his dangerous nature and prevent humans from being hurt was to keep a tight rein on his actions, thoughts and emotions. All his good intentions go flying out the window when he meets Nixie. The little spit-fire arouses his senses, shreds his control and makes him forget his responsibilities…well almost.
Biting Nixie starts off fast and furious, with funny dialogue, great characters and a believable premise. From the first moment these two opposites meet, it was like waiting for the eruption of a volcano and its red-hot flowing lava. Except in this case, it is plain, old-fashioned passion, desire and lust. Ms. Hughes’s vivid descriptions of Nixie, Julian and the little community of Meiers Corners and its quirky citizens left me feeling like I knew these strange and endearing people. I especially enjoyed learning there was more to Julian than his strait-laced and up-tight lawyer persona as first presented. Instead, he was actually an ancient warrior, at times a barely contained savage, which was readily apparent when he was defending Nixie. I liked Nixie, her spunk, determination and her dedication, but I loved Julian. I just wish I could have gotten into Julian’s head, but as this fast-paced paranormal romance was written in the first person, from Nixie’s viewpoint, that wasn’t to be.
The only thing about the story that didn’t flow for me was the constant cultural references and word meanings that I found hard to follow. This I wish Ms. Hughes had toned down a bit. That being said I look forward to the next exciting book in this new series. Frankly I don’t know if I care who the next female is, but the next vamp…I vote for Logan Steel.
Author: Mary Hughes
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publisher URL: http://samhainpublishing.com/
ISBN: 978-1-60504-358-6
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Nymph Rating: 4.5 Nymphs
Literary Nymph Reviewer: Mystical Nymph
Nixie Schmeling is a twenty-five year old punk rock musician with the attitude of an Amazon, which comes in handy, considering she’s so petite that she’s often mistaken for a teenager. She’s dynamic and out-spoken, and considers buying insurance one-step above the grave, and hates the very idea of being a responsible adult. Nixie also has a strange quirk in her personality, which makes it nearly impossible for her to say no to anyone she’s known since she was in diapers. That little fact alone explains how she gets cornered into running the town’s first annual fundraising event. What she doesn’t know is that the money they’re raising is for a high-priced, heavy-hitting, three-piece suit wearing shark...I mean lawyer. Unfortunately, for her peace of mind, he’s also tall, dark, handsome, and has the biggest, bluest eyes she’s ever seen.
Julian Emerson has come to Meiers Corners from Boston, with the intention of protecting the small community from being annexed into the city of Chicago by a powerful group of suits, and an even more powerful group of vampires. An unfortunate event several centuries before taught Julian that the only way to hide his dangerous nature and prevent humans from being hurt was to keep a tight rein on his actions, thoughts and emotions. All his good intentions go flying out the window when he meets Nixie. The little spit-fire arouses his senses, shreds his control and makes him forget his responsibilities…well almost.
Biting Nixie starts off fast and furious, with funny dialogue, great characters and a believable premise. From the first moment these two opposites meet, it was like waiting for the eruption of a volcano and its red-hot flowing lava. Except in this case, it is plain, old-fashioned passion, desire and lust. Ms. Hughes’s vivid descriptions of Nixie, Julian and the little community of Meiers Corners and its quirky citizens left me feeling like I knew these strange and endearing people. I especially enjoyed learning there was more to Julian than his strait-laced and up-tight lawyer persona as first presented. Instead, he was actually an ancient warrior, at times a barely contained savage, which was readily apparent when he was defending Nixie. I liked Nixie, her spunk, determination and her dedication, but I loved Julian. I just wish I could have gotten into Julian’s head, but as this fast-paced paranormal romance was written in the first person, from Nixie’s viewpoint, that wasn’t to be.
The only thing about the story that didn’t flow for me was the constant cultural references and word meanings that I found hard to follow. This I wish Ms. Hughes had toned down a bit. That being said I look forward to the next exciting book in this new series. Frankly I don’t know if I care who the next female is, but the next vamp…I vote for Logan Steel.
2 comments:
Thanks so much for taking time to read and review Biting Nixie! I adored your imagery (esp the volcano).
I'm very glad you enjoyed the book (and I hope to see more of Logan in the future, too).
Mary Hughes
Keep up the good work. I loved the characters and premise
Post a Comment